You're probably thinking to yourself, "$85+ for a pair of mittens?! You must be crazy?"
Believe me, these felted wool and alpaca mittens are most definitely worth it. Read on and you'll begin to wonder why you're not paying more!
Why You Need These Mittens:
1. While you can go to a big box store and pick up a pair of mittens for a few bucks, can you get a pair of mittens that will last you AT LEAST 10 YEARS? We expect they will last much longer than that if cared for correctly. We haven't tested this to its fullest extent, but we've got a pair here that's been in use for 8 years. Not only do they look as good as they did all those years ago, but they are even softer. No holes. No thin spots. Just pure luxurious warmth.
2. Because wool and alpaca are odor and stain resistant, I generally only hand wash ours once per year.
3. Wool and alpaca are naturally thermal, adjusting to the outside temperature. They also keep your hands warm when wet, allowing for all day play.
4. Each pair of mittens has a minimum of 8 - 10 hours of hand knitting time in them. Add felting, stretching and blocking to your size specifications, and that's a lot of woman-hours - at least 10-12 per pair.
5. Each pair of of mittens is handcrafted to your specifications. They are guaranteed to fit. If they don't, we'll exchange them for a pair that does. If you've never had a pair of mitts made just for you, then you don't know what you are missing.
6. Each pair of mittens is knit 2.5 - 3 times larger than the finished product, then shrunk to size to create a durable, water resistant and air resistant piece of outerwear.
7. These are limited edition mittens. They are made by one person, me. Only 25 available each year.
So why are we offering these at such a bargain? I believe your hands should be warm and toasty. I want you to experience practical luxury in its most basic form. I want you to go outside on a cold and snowy day and play all day long, to build snowmen to your heart's content, and still be able to feel your fingers. Because when it comes right down to it, warm hands are happy hands.
I like to wear a pair of felted alpaca cuffs with my mittens - if I need to use my fingers, I just slides the mittens off and still keep my wrists and palms warm.
Notes about Wool and Alpaca: Wool or alpaca mittens are simply amazing. You can wear them all day without getting cold. Even when wet, they keep your hands warm and toasty. Both are thermal, odor resistant, stain resistant, extremely durable and get softer the more you wear them.
The differences: Felted wool tends to be a bit thicker for the warmth. Felted alpaca has the same amount of warmth in a lighter weight and is great for those sensitive to wool. Alpaca is also softer than wool.
Click to read more about wool and alpaca.
Materials: Your choice of wool, 50% wool/alpaca blend or, 100% alpaca,You will be asked for color name and/or number at checkout.
Sizes: Available in Extra Small through Extra Large. Children's sizes available upon request.
Care: Handwash and lay flat to dry. You may dry on your hands for the perfect fit. Note - we usually only need to wash ours once a year.